Explanation of Class

5/6/2010

Submitted by Jim Cosgrove


Hi. A little explanation of this class and its purpose might help. I am a Professor of Business Administration at Culver-Stockton. This blog is for my Spring three week Business Ethics class. I wanted to try something a little different this semester for a class that I have taught for many years. The new curriculum at Culver allowed me to do this because of the three term. I wanted to connect business ethics to the idea of giving back to the community and give students a unique experience. Mike Snell, a pastor and alum of C-SC is involved with Project Berea. This project supports mission work in Mexico in conjunction with the Instituto Biblico Berea in Los Cristales Mexico right outside Monterrey. There have been three mission trips from Culver-Stockton in the past three years. I went last year and had an awesome experience. I wanted my Ethics class to combine a study of ethics with service work and a visit to some companies in Mexico.
But I had some students who wanted to take the Ethics class but were unable to travel to Mexico. So the college gave me permission to allow those students to do service work in the Canton area while the other students were in Mexico. So the blogs here by students will talk about Mexico and visiting a government agency there and Carte Blanca and doing mission work in Los Villarreales, a village about 45 miles NW of Monterrey; they will also talk about working at the Canton Christian Church food pantry, the Salvation Army, a woman’s shelter, and Horizon’s Social Services serving lunches.
I think the class worked very well. The students with me in Mexico painted, gave out food baskets, mixed concrete, experienced Mexican culture and visited two Mexican companies and saw a bit of the beautiful city of Monterrey. The students here experienced the satisfaction of serving others and got comments like, "Brightest and Best Students Ever!" Good representatives for Culver-Stockton College!” Read on for some interesting insights.


Posted at 11:35 PM by James Cosgrove