Katherine Reddick

5/6/2010


Katherine Reddick
Spring 2010 Business Ethics, Culver Stockton College


During the last full week of April, Monday April 26 through Friday April 30, I spent close to seventeen hours working in the kitchen of the St. Johns church on 7th and Hampshire in Quincy, IL. I was volunteering for the Horizons Soup Kitchen of Adams County; it was a great experience! All meals served are prepared by the volunteers that day, and most of the food is gone by the end of the hour that food is served. Peggy Grant is the manager of the soup kitchen. Now, St. John’s kitchen is just where the meals are served because Horizon’s doesn’t really have a place that is available, but I do believe that they are looking for someplace. I say that this was a great experience because I have never really thought about what goes into making someone a meal for a day, when they have no other options, and I would love to go back again during the summer. The meal may not sound that great, or look that great, but it’s food to put in your stomach, and this week all the meals were pretty good, if I do say so myself. The people that volunteer their time here are wonderful. They know most of the people that go through the line by their first names; they know what they like to talk about, and they know what to ask. There is one person who always comes in last, or pretty close to last, and they know that he/she will be asking to take some extra with them. They know that he/she will ask what kind of milk is being served that day. Some don’t really like that, but I guess they just do it because they know that no matter what it’s the right thing to do. I think that if there was one thing that came out of this, is that you should always be thankful for the people and things that you have in your life, because some people may not have those same luxuries, and you shouldn’t take them for granted. I’m going to end my little ramble with, if you feel you would like doing this, you should give it a chance, they would love for you to come in and help, it doesn’t cost anything except for three hours of your time, to help someone else. Also they have started a food pantry, small but hopefully growing, so if you would like to donate some items they would muchly appreciate that as well.


Posted at 11:25 PM by James Cosgrove